Explore the distinctions between Prosecco DOC and DOCG and learn how to make the right choice. Uncover the feature of both and select the perfect Prosecco for you!

What is the Difference Between DOC and DOCG in Italy?

When it comes to Italian wines, you may have come across the terms DOC and DOCG. These labels indicate different levels of quality and adherence to specific production regulations. In the world of Prosecco, understanding the differences between DOC (Denominazione di Origine Controllata) and DOCG (Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita) can help you make an informed choice. So, let’s dive into the details!

The DOC classification is the first level of quality assurance in Italian wines. It guarantees that the wine is produced in a specific geographical area using approved grape varieties and following established production methods. For Prosecco, the DOC designation ensures that the wine comes from the designated Prosecco production zone, primarily in the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions.

The DOC Prosecco must be made from a minimum of 85% Glera grapes, the traditional variety used in Prosecco production, with the remaining 15% allowed to be other approved local varieties. This designation also sets specific rules for vineyard practices, yields per hectare, and winemaking techniques.

On the other hand, DOCG is the highest quality classification in Italy, representing wines of exceptional quality and strict production standards. Prosecco Superiore is the DOCG version of Prosecco and includes two sub-regions: Conegliano Valdobbiadene and Asolo.

Prosecco Superiore DOCG has even more stringent regulations compared to its DOC counterpart. The grapes must come exclusively from the defined hilly areas within Conegliano Valdobbiadene or Asolo, known for their superior terroir and favorable growing conditions. The DOCG regulations also impose lower yields and stricter quality controls throughout the production process.

Which is Better: DOC or DOCG?

Now, the million-dollar question: which is better, DOC or DOCG Prosecco? The answer depends on your preferences and the specific Prosecco you choose. While DOCG Prosecco carries a higher level of prestige and often represents the pinnacle of quality, it doesn’t mean that DOC Prosecco is inferior.

Both DOC and DOCG Prosecco can offer delightful sparkling wine experiences. DOC Prosecco maintains high-quality standards and showcases the characteristic fruity and floral aromas that have made Prosecco popular worldwide. It’s an excellent choice for casual enjoyment, social gatherings, and everyday celebrations.

On the other hand, DOCG Prosecco, with its stricter regulations and limited production zones, may provide a more refined and nuanced taste experience. It often exhibits greater complexity, elegance, and depth of flavors. If you’re seeking a special bottle for a memorable occasion or want to explore the finest expressions of Prosecco, DOCG Prosecco is worth considering.

Ultimately, the choice between DOC and DOCG Prosecco boils down to personal preferences, the desired price range, and the occasion. Both offer fantastic sparkling wines, and you can trust that they meet rigorous quality standards.

In conclusion, whether you opt for DOC or DOCG Prosecco, you’re in for a delightful journey through the world of Italian sparkling wines. So grab a bottle, raise your glass, and savor the effervescent charm of Prosecco!

So, if you’re a wine lover looking for a sustainable, healthier, and delicious sparkling wine experience, choose organic Prosecco. Raise your glass to a greener future and join the movement towards a more eco-conscious wine culture!


For more information or to discover our exquisite selection of organic Prosecco, contact us at info@staffilo.it. Cheers to a bubbly journey of sustainability and indulgence! 🥂✨


Prosecco DOC Extra Dry

DOC Extra Dry Millesimato

Organic wine

Fine and persistent perlage, inebriated with floral aromas of broom and gentian with a vegetal note of sage and mint, enlivened by fruity aromas of grapefruit, pineapple and golden apple. Soft, savoury and persistent on the palate, pleasantly lively and light.